Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Soul Mates

When one mentioned "soul mate", many associates it with a lover/partner/husband/wife. That's what I thought too. I have changed my perspective sometime ago.

I have defined soul mate (s) as someone:-
  • who love each other unconditionally
  • when one is being erratic/emotional/mad/silly/stupid, the other will only listen and won't argue at the time. He/she will come to you when you are calm and give you a hug and a kiss and say that its alright to "feel"
  • listens to each others' worries even how small they may seem
  • always there for each other in happiness and in sorrows
  • is never judgemental of each other and accepts one another for what you are
  • laugh and cry together and at each other
  • point out to each other weaknesses without feeling intimidated
  • talk about anything under the sun and each can have a different point of view without enforcing the other to accept his
  • complement each others' inadequacy
  • when in solace, their faces fill up your eyes, their hearts warm up yours

I am honoured to have not met one but many soul mates and consists of both sexes. They are my pillars of strength. My lifeline. The people I would like to have at my dinner table every night. If only we could all live in one house and sleep together in one bed. If only they are each others soul mates, then maybe that could happen?

Excerpt from Elizabeth Gilbert - "Eat Pray Love" about Soul Mate

"People think a soul mate is your perfect fit but a true soul mate is a mirror, the person who shows you everything that's holding you back, the person who brings you to your attention so you can change your life. A true soul mate is probably the most important person you'll ever meet, because they tear down your walls and smack you awake. But to live with a soul mate forever? Nah. Too painful. Soul mates, they come into your life just to reveal another layer of yourself to you and then they leave AND thank God for it".

I agree with some of her words but not all. I believe you can live with your soul mate forever and your soul mate will never leave you.