Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Restless Heart

A childish rebellion
Surely, but slowly in a shallow form
Seeking an expression
And direction, like a rushing stream

The bubbling restless force
At times formed by circumstances
A stream by its banks
Refusing to be contained by them

The spirit of a wild horse
Not knowing its boundaries or distances
Never to be held by any hand
Unwilling to stop at any realm
Restless forms ducking under obstacles
Splashing and passing over them
Testing life very oracles
Moving and changing forms

To some a sense of rhythm
An imagination of the restless
Burn the candle at both ends
Whilst it burns, you want it to last, no less

Keep still oh fluttering heart
Surely after a storm there is a lull
For the calmness is in your heart
It is never, never too hard

Regu gave me this poem in January 1997. I lost his business card and can't remember his long family name. He is someone I met during a International Fast Ferry exhibition more than 10 years ago. He gave me many words of wisdom when he sensed that I was somewhat "lost". He guided me without him knowing. I know he lives in Penang with his family. Our last contact was in Perth in 1998 and he was not well. I wish I could see him again.
Painting by Elizabeth Clausen