Friday, April 10, 2009

Superwoman

I was reminded of one of those days when I had to juggle with a fulfilling career, two beautiful and smart kids, a husband who always reminded me that no matter how hard I work he will make more money than me, two houses, friends and lovers (?). Yes, the good old days when I think I had it all and more - in control.

That day was not a typical day. I supposed to have a meeting with the client in the city (patience of a Dalai Lama is required at all times), followed by finance review meeting (need to be a Greenspan and have all the answers) and followed by appointments to meet colleagues who needed some of my time (ears and heart to listen). I also had to run to the bank to open a bank account for the social club as I had a generous amount of their cash in my handbag. On top of that, I was having a bad stomach cramp and bleeding profusely that I could die (monthly period but my 4 year-old said this when he had a mosquito bite).

6.00am - 7.30am
It was a usual chaotic morning, with preparing the kids for breakfast and then we head off to Carrington Daycare. A bit of a background - Daycare will then send them off to school in a van at 8.30am as school only starts at 8.50am. Then, they will pick them up after school at 3.30pm and they would stay at daycare until I/husband pick them up at 6.00pm. Yes, it was a long day at daycare and yes I pleaded guilty of mental torture.

1st meeting with client
I was feeling uncomfortable. Something wasn't right. I felt so wet down there. No I was not thinking of any sexual thoughts at all. All the men in the meeting has mostly gone through their mid-life crisis. Shit! I forgot to wear my sanitary pad. Excused myself, went to see some female staff for emergency stash. Choose wisely grasshopper! Pick the right women. Got it, dashed back to toilet. Always filled your wardrobe with black and grey, unfortunate moment like this helped.

Finance review meeting
Greenspan I am not. Buffet I am not. Honesty was all I had. Truth hurts. So far so good until my phone beeped and was a call from school. I had always picked up the calls irrespective of what I was doing, no matter how important. I was a supermom after all. A call from school could be a life and death matter.

School staff: Mrs.X, we had a serious issue today with S. She came to the office crying. She said she forgot to wear her undies and the kids were laughing at her when she was on the monkey bar.
Me: What do you suggest I should do? (can't say my meeting is really important that missing knickers). Do you have spare knickers at school (or in somebodys' pocket)? Appreciate if you could do something until 3pm when Z (Daycare staff) pick her up from school.

This is a typical S (7 year-old) who is oblivious to the requirements of being a female. I am not setting a high standard here but she could go to school without brushing her hair, have different coloured socks and forget to bring her school bag to school. She floats around in the world of Pokemon. Who does she takes after? Of course not from my side of the family!

That was about 6 months ago. Now I have became a full time mum. I no longer have a demanding full-time, paid job. I have not been reading Economist and Financial Times, have not been watching Bloomberg and Business News. I am reading You Don't Need to Smack and is watching Discovery - Lifestyle and Entertainment. A demanding full-time, unpaid job - AT HOME.

Now, I am only a:
  • CFO - debt-equity management, working capital management, share portfolios, property investments
  • Taxi driver
  • Teacher - Math tuition, Phonics, Arts, Cooking class
  • Chefs - array of Western and Asian and sometimes no origin - "third culture" dish which my mom would say "pemalas" (lazy in Bahasa Melayu)
  • Psychiatrist - evenings and weekends in a geriatric ward for a 43 year old male
  • Social worker - ensure that friends and families stay connected and in good welfare
  • Mum - attend all Parent-Teacher meetings, reading assistant, friends stay over after school, birthday parties, undies well supplied, labels on uniforms, bags, pencils and everything they take to school, stack of medicines (homeopathy grandma!
  • Wife - looks good size 6, keep fit, smile and laughter fill up the house, spending within budget and will make sure keep hair long next time when in Greenland

Superwoman, I am not. Supermom I am not but I am SUPERME! (supreme). I am excused to be a Taitai, once in a while.