Saturday, April 4, 2009

Raising Nomads

I am becoming a better mum/plain mum/reborn mum. I am going to pat myself on the back. After Ignatia, a few good parenting books and one seminar, I was all inspired. So far, I think I am not doing too bad.

There was one line that I really like which was being used by the speaker in that parenting talk is we as parents should help our kids "unloading the bricks in the wheelbarrow". What a metaphor, simple but yet so descriptive. It is about (the talk not the wheelbarrow) how child's physical movements relate to their behaviour - detection and improvements. Also like how she ended the talk with - "don't expect your child to be perfect". How true. (I have accepted that my children are not gifted when they found talking about poos, bums and boobies are much more interesting than space-shuttles and genetic engineering).

The book which I have just finished reading - "Totto-chan - The Little Girl at the Window" has also inspired me. Its about Kobayashi's method of early childhood education in Japan before WWII. Imagine a school where there is no fixed timetable and you can choose which subject you want to do first thing in the morning and what you want to finish the day off with. Kobayashi (the principal) would sit with the kids at lunch and talk about their food. Very, very nurturing for the soul and awaken the interest in learning. Thank you Tetsuko Kuroyanagi for sharing that with us.

Well, I was feeling all positive after that and started a new regime at home. I have created a timetable for the time between after-school and before bedtime adopting those two ideas. So far, it has worked very well. Most importantly, we are all happy chappy especially me, moi, the grand dame.

Who says children are cute? What did I do in my previous life to deserve this? Such hard work, patience and perseverance of a Dalai Lama and Mahatma Gandhi put together. What did he say - patience is a virtue?

I shall strive for the restoration of peace and human rights of the people that live under my roof.